Forward rolls are a wonderful pregnancy ab exercise, plus incredible for keeping your back feeling it’s best!
Keeping your core strong is key to core health! What we need to achieve it the right kind of strong. This is extremely important during pregnancy, postpartum — and well, anytime in life really! Watch my video below for full instructions and some extra tips too!
- Inhale to lengthen tall and long
- Exhale to round your spine and slowly roll forward articulating your spine while keeping your weight in your hips (keep you hips behind your knees)
- Inhale as you lightly press into the exercise ball while lengthening your spine. Your should feel a light spreading between your sits-bones to better feel your pelvic floor.
- Exhaling initiating your movement by lightly zipping up your pelvic floor and deep core as you slowly articulating your spine roll back up to start.
- Do 5-10 reps slowly with a big focus on breathing and your deep core.
You should never feel a lot of pressure or stress on your abdomen, especially your pelvic floor!
Keeping your hips back behind your knees keeps the intra-abdominal pressure low making this a great pregnancy ab exercise (also good if you have diastasis recti). Also when I mention avoiding exercises that you feel pressure on your pelvic floor or leaking / incontinence, it is extremely important to follow this instruction. Please avoid that pressure during pregnancy and after – yes beyond pregnancy!
If you are experiencing incontinence or pelvic floor pressure you can and need to work on properly strengthening your deep core. During pregnancy my Knocked-Up Fitness Membership is where you can learn exactly how too, and postpartum + beyond my Core Rehab Program is your go-to program.
Because you can and should be strengthening your core – BUT- you must be doing it in the correct way.
Recommended Exercise Ball “Baby Bump Ball” you can find it here on Amazon.
(amazon affiliate links are included in this post)