I came across this video the other day and had totally forgotten about ever filming it (over 2 years ago that is!). I was very pregnant – like 40 weeks pregnant – with baby #3! You can have a good laugh with me – so funny to see yourself that pregnant (big boobs and all!). Now back to what this is all about:
I was just discussing this with a client the other day and it comes up often: supplements during pregnancy. This is (in my opinion, I am not a doctor and with that said, always discuss with your doctor first) the most important supplement you should always take, pregnant or not! Feel free to watch my rambling about cod liver oil– which I used to take religiously during all 3 of my pregnancies. I do still take cod lover oil but have since switched to Green Pastures Fermented Cold Liver capsules. You could use Carlson’s Norwegian cold liver oil, which is good, but Green Pasture’s is higher quality.
Here’s what you need to look for when buying fish oil:
- It must be higher in DHA than EPA – the DHA is what can really help with brain function and development (and inflammation, but that’s another topic all it’s own!!)
- Cod Liver is one of the best sources.
- Most standard recommendations state around 400 mg, however, I’ve read enough research that recommends at least 1,000mg during and after pregnancy. Since baby is growing and developing rapidly and baby will take from you everything they need, you are the one left depleted.
Possible benefits of taking Cod Liver Oil (DHA):
- Increase baby’s brain development and function
- Decrease your chances of postpartum depression
- Better brain function for you!
- Decreased inflammation (the root of all diseases!)
Be sure you continue to take your supplements while you breastfeed and beyond, forever and ever and ever….
Don’t wait any longer, it’s never to late to start taking DHA!
P.S. I’m not getting paid or making any money by promoting these companies– this one is just for my Mommas from me