We all know that Prenatal Vitamins are important. But which one is right for you?
Have you ever walked down the vitamin aisle and felt completely overwhelmed by the number of choices? There are so many options out there for prenatal vitamins these days that it’s hard to know which one is right for you.
We’re going to break it down for you from what to do pre-pregnancy to what to look for when selecting a prenatal vitamin!
Pre-Pregnancy. If you are currently trying to get pregnant or planning on starting a family within the next 6 months, it’s recommended that you start a prenatal vitamin now. Why? Because even with the best diet, many women are unable to absorb all the essential vitamins + minerals necessary to support a healthy pregnancy.
If you haven’t been taking a prenatal vitamin, don’t worry! You can start prepping your body for pregnancy, reducing the risk of birth defects and preventing the depletion of your own vitamins + minerals during pregnancy today! Before you start taking just any prenatal vitamin, we’ve put together a few helpful tips when selecting the best prenatal vitamin for you!
TIPS FOR SELECTING THE BEST PRENATAL VITAMIN FOR YOU!
1. Look for a supplement that has little to no iron.
Many women have a hard time breaking down iron and can get enough supplementation from foods such as spinach, lentils, pumpkin seeds, quinoa and red meat.
2. You want a prenatal vitamin with Folate Acid NOT Folic Acid.
Folate is a necessary vitamin in pregnancy that helps promote healthy growth and development but also works to promote ovulation and is the natural version of B6.
3. Choose one that is organic.
The reason this is important is that you avoid any unnecessary fillers and get the purest form of the vitamins + minerals.
Looking for suggestions? Here are 2 prenatal vitamins we recommend:
- Seeking Health Optimal Prenatal. This one requires a few pills a day, but it’s extremely high quality and comprehensive. Sarah Morgan is the creator of this product and you can learn all about the science behind her supplements on this episode of my Core Connections Podcast.
- Holistic Health Daily Best Prenatal. This prenatal vitamin includes a probiotic which can be extremely helpful during pregnancy. It’s also extremely high quality and comprehensive, but they do recommend you pair it with their Multi-Vitamin for maximum benefit.
Consistency is key when it comes to proper supplementation during pregnancy so make sure you select a prenatal vitamin that is right for you and your body!
Before incorporating any new supplements into your diet, always talk to your Primary Care Physician (PCP) first. They can advise you on how much to take, when to take it and if any of these supplements could potentially conflict with your current medications.